A caramelized layer of bananas on the bottom of this dish make it totally decadent. For the weekday morning that refuses to hit the ground running; I put this together, slip it into the oven and hop in the shower. By time I am ready, so is breakfast.
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbs pure maple syrup (or raw sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 Tbs melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a ripe banana, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup blueberries or blackberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the top third of the oven. Oil the inside of an 8"x4" baking dish, or four ramekins.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, sugar (if you’re using it in place of maple syrup), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup (if using), coconut milk, water, egg, half of the melted oil, and vanilla.
4. Place the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange two-thirds of the berries on top of the bananas. Cover the fruit with the dry oat mixture, then drizzle the wet ingredients over the oats. Wiggle the baking dish to make sure the milk moves down through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries across the top, and sprinkle some extra coconut flakes and sliced almonds on top if you’d like.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden. Remove your baked oatmeal from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Serves 4 (or you, four days in a row!)